Friday, November 6, 2015

Duct Tape Rocket Mark IV and its creation

Materials-
1. 1 roll of duct tape: free
2. 2 2 liter Minute Maid lemonade bottles:$13
3. 1 cardboard box: free
4. 1 cardboard ice cream box:$7 
5. 1 pair of scissors: free
6. 1 Sharpie marker: free
7. 1 pencil: free
8. 1 box cutter: free
9. 1 roll of string: free
10.1 trash bag: free
11. 1 tape measure: free
Procedure-
Step 1- Get all the materials(but don't steal them)
Step 2- Trace the fins for the rocket so they conform to the body of the bottle. Then cut out the fins and duct tape them onto the rocket.
Step 3- Cut one of the bottles in half and use the capped end of the bottle as the launch capsule. The use the ice cream box(It has to be drumsticks or it just cannot work) to creat the cone. Cut out a square and wrap it around the capped end and remove any excess cardboard. 
Step 4- Attach the cone to the top of the rocket via duct tape. Lots of duct tape. Use whatever extra cardboard you have from the cone to create mini fins for the capsule to add drag and increase the likelihood of it separating.
Step 5- look up on YouTube how to make a parachute and put it in last inside the cone with the egg going in first.

The end product^
Calculations
To find the height at its highest point I first had to find the initial velocity. To find the initial velocity I used the equation Vi=agt. For the time I used the given time so my equation was Vi=(9.8)(1)=9.8 m/s^2. From that I could plug the initial velocity into my delta y equation. The equation for the height I used was DeltaY=ViT + 1/2agT^2--> delta y= (9.8)(1)+1/2(9.8)(1^2). My final answer for the height was 14.7 meters which translates to 48.22 feet. However the number given to me was 65 feet on the day of launch. I think mine is more accurate since it is calculated and not estimated. 
Free Body Diagrams-


No comments:

Post a Comment